Tuesday, March 26, 2013

birthdays and obsessions and my terrible super power.


Happy birthday to me!! It’s been a crazy 12 months. Fast and slow all at the same time. This time last year I had just fractured a bone in my foot and didn’t know it, I was limping around, about to head to spring camp. In all honestly not a lot has changed since last year, my foot still hurts, I’m still not in shape, I still don’t do yoga everyday. This is not to say that tings aren’t good. I’m feeling content, established, happy most of the time, most days feel awesome but I still apprehensive and sometimes nervous about things such as my foot, my place here in my tiny town, how my service is going altogether, what I’m going to do in 8 months when I return home… the list can go on and on but who knows? It’s best to focus on what is good and generally speaking life is all around pretty good. My classes are going pretty well, and this week I enter a new chapter in my service when my new site mate arrives, so that’s exciting. I should also mention my list of accomplishments a little, non-work related I’ve made a ton of craft projects in the last 12 months and learned how to make some really good food.

Birthdays are really weird, I’ve always liked celebrating my birthday, but I’ve learned that unless you’re around a group of good friends, birthdays can be pretty dismal or sad. I’ve had a wide range of birthdays in my adult life, going from awesome get togethers with my closest, to mental breakdowns, to a nice gesture from my co-workers in letting me use the company van to drive out to get tasty vegan food. The best birthdays to me involve good food and good friends. This year was pretty low key I spent all day finishing up a project and skypeing with my mom. Then I made myself a cheesecake, which turned out pretty well and then attempted to make gnocchi, a food I’ve never really even eaten before, so who knows if it’s any good, tastes ok to me, but I’m bored with trying to make it, way too time consuming currently, and they didn’t boil very well, so I’ve had to pan fry them. I’ve also discovered that I do in fact have a super power, the power to make a clean kitchen dirty in less then 5 minutes. It is not a fun super power to have. Nothing like making delicious food then realizing you’ve managed to make every single utensil, surface and dish not only dirty but a complete mess. Worst. Power. Ever. This is to say that my kitchen is a total disaster as I write this.

In other news I’ve become 12 year old fan girl obsessed with the british tv show Doctor Who. It’s bad news bears, but as a pcv there's lots of empty time ( and space (!)) filling the days it’s easy to fixate on something. I’ve started to say the word “rubbish” and have even begun re-integrating other bitish-isms into my current vocab that I picked up when I lived in London in college. I’ve re-watched several episodes twice in one week, which is a new development (usually I give myself a few weeks between re-watching something). I’ve become very endeared by the goofy childlike nerdiness of the character of the Doctor and just the general awesomeness of this show. I’ve always been a sci-fi and fantasy fan (having grown up on x-files, xena, captain planet and the superman show the louis and clark adventures that was once on tnt. ) so the fact that Dr Who appeals to me makes sense. Dr Who now makes its way into my repetoire of shows I’ve watched too many times- joining superstar shows like Community, Parks and Rec and The Office peppering in Modern Family, Arrested Development, and Family guy from time to time. I never really watched tv until I graduated college, and now it seems like I do it far too often- To be fair, I often watch tv while I’m working on other things like crochet or cross stitch. If I could get more audiobooks, or more effectively download podcasts I would listen to those but instead I fall into watching tv. Clearly the fact that I’m putting it in a freaking blog post should be alarming. But here I am, airing my tv obsession on my blog. But for reals, watch this clip and tell me this show isn’t awesome and perfect for me. Shenanigans…. One of my favorite words, and my favorite slang word I’ve taught to my classes.

So that’s about it for now. Life is good. I love crochet. I love Doctor Who. I love food. I do not love a dirty kitchen (and I do not love doing dishes. ) 

shenanigans quote video, for some reason i couldn't find the video through this link thingy on my blog stuff. anyways. 

1 comment:

Tina Hart said...

Member that time we made pesto in our blender at SMC and we splattered it on every surface (possibly the ceiling included)? It was so good though.... Ugh - I hate cleaning the kitchen - feels like a never ending process of washing and reusing, washing and reusing.... I feel you :) In other news, happy birthday week :) May it be lovely and wonderful! <3 you.