Saturday, September 10, 2011

before I leave

Hello All!
so I'm officially starting my blog.
I am more or less packed, leaning on the side of more rather then less. I think I've done a good job at packing. In theory (according to the highly accurate weight measuring standard of standing on a scale and peering over your luggage to see the weight) both of my bags are closer to 40lbs a piece. makes me feel good! technically just on weight limit. Which I am taking as a win for me. The one of them was 30lbs but then I added books because I have the space, why not use it and I can leave them there for other people. Very thrilling.

All in all it has been a fairly painless process. It did involve a lot of tissues (because of my allergies) and a decent amount of caffeine, but i've actually enjoyed the experience.  I got rid of 3 huge bags of stuff on my return home; A lot of what I got rid of was clothes and books and college paperwork so that was cathartic. I recycled three large boxes of paper yesterday. I love recycling. I'm also excited to pass my clothing on to new people. I have a strong attachment to my clothes, so I like to see them going to new homes. In my mind I was getting rid of a lot more stuff then I ended up getting rid of, but I ran both out of time and emotional capacity. I'm not good at letting go of my stuff. Maybe when I come back I will purge my life of more . To be fair however, a lot of it is old journals and books and craft supplies and I love living my life in a way that I can go "hmmm... it'd be cool to try and make rubber stamps/make a book/do a sewing project/make a bracelet/etc..." and be able to reach into a box somewhere and do it. I see a craft room in my future someday. My room is like a well stocked kitchen, but instead of spices and flour it's thread, paper and random art supplies. I'm bringing some of my beads with me as well as a set of knitting needles, some embroidery floss,  and a monster cross stitch I've been working on. So i'm doing well in the craft department for my adventure.

I'm very thrilled to be parting on this adventure so soon. I can't believe it's happened so fast. the summer just flew by. I feel like I showed up for work crew just 2 weeks ago, and now I'm almost leaving. I've been doing well emotionally speaking, the only time I've cried was while I was watching a video about my falcon ridge family (and how could I not? not only was there the sadness that I missed them this year, but 525600 minutes and may I suggest were on the soundtrack, those songs slay me). I think I'm more nervous and excited then sad, I'm expecting those emotions to kick in right around the time I'm on the plane or settling in for training, we shall see though.

Anyways. In theory I'd like to update this blog once every 1-2 weeks though I'm not entirely sure what my internet situation will look like for a little while. I'd also love to write letters in the next two years, so if you read this blog and want to be a pen pal send me your mailing address. for the next few months the place to send me LETTER mail (no packages please) is :


(Your Name)
                               s/c Corps de la Paix                                 
2, Rue Abou Marouane Essaadi, Agdal,
Rabat 10100, MOROCCO


No comments: